Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Me Voy a...

Good evening!  Sorry for not writing last week.  Dumb New York City library computers sometimes just like to kick us off after forty five minutes when we're anticipating an hour or so...

Anyways, last week wasn't too exciting.  Elder Martinez wasn't feeling too well, so we took it easy.  We still had some lessons, but we spent some time inside too.  Although I'd rather be out working, I made well of the time by sewing on some buttons that needed to be sewed on, doing some cleaning, reading The Book of Mormon, making planner covers for other missionaries and so on, so it was good to get stuff done.

This past week was great!  Fourth of July- that was probably the best Fourth of July I've seen!  We had to be in at 8:00, but then if we had access to it, we could get up on our roof until 10:00, so we came in at 8:00, planned, cook up some bratwursts and made some milkshakes, then went up on to our roof.  Not sure if we were allowed to, but we had checked earlier in the week if there were alarms on the roof access and there weren't so we did!  Our building isn't terribly tall, but we could see the firework shows going on south of Manhattan, way over on Long Island, up in Westchester County and a few other firework shows here and there.  I'll try to send some pictures of it all.  We had some good lessons last week too, but nothing comes immediately to mind that's worth mentioning.

Anyways, transfers have come and gone and I've moved!  I am way upstate (well way as far as this mission goes) in Newburgh, New York!  I'm in one of three Spanish companionships in the entire zone (we four companionships in my last district alone)- we cover the entire branch alone and we are the ward clerk.  We have a car (with A/C :D) with 1200 miles for the month because our area is massive.  The physical layout reminds me a lot of North Georgia- Appalachian Mountains covered with trees and greenery- it's beautiful!  We're right by the Hudson River, and that just adds to the beauty.  West Point Military Academy is in the area we cover, so that's going to be sweet!  Especially since I met an Elder in the MTC who went to West Point gave me some names of friends with which to work.  I can see God's hand in this transfer in that I might get the opportunity to work with those people to one extent or another.  We'll see!  I'm with Elder Lewis- he's from Cedar City, Utah and has been out for about three months.  He's great and I'm super excited to work with him!  We had a great experience getting here- from the upstate transfer meeting in Ossining, a usually hour drive took us three because I had to drive and there was a not very well marked detour.  We had to stop at Wendy's to check out and make our own detour using the GPS, so it was just an adventure.  We had some good time to get to know each other, though, so that was great!  And we saw some beautiful scenery.  I love it so much up here!  I love the area, the people sound great and I love my companion so far!  Should be a great cycle!

I'm a little scatter brained right now, so I can't think of much more to add.  The mission just keeps getting better and better and I don't think I've ever been happier.  Thanks for all the support back home- you're great!  I hope you have a great week!

-Elder Griffiths

No comments:

Post a Comment