Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I < 3 BX

Hello Everybody!

This past week was awesome! Being back here in he Bronx is awesome! I am in a little bit of a different part- I'm in the central northern part- but it is still the Bronx and I really love it. There are so many people to talk to, there are lots of crazy people, and lots of Dominicans. It will take a concentrated effort to forget Spanish because there are so many Spanish speakers around. At the same time, I am being exposed to a lot of Africans- that is new. I have met people from the Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Congo and probably some other places. They actually speak French in many of those places and so Elder Davidson and I are going to try to pick up some French- we'll see how that goes! And Elder Davidson is great! He is a solid missionary with a lot of great experience and really good relationships with the ward members. He is from American Fork, Utah and we will actually go home together. He is awesome and I am looking forward to a sweet cycle!

I don't think I have ever been happier! And that is even with all the physical hardships of adjusting and leaving and getting used to things, so good things are coming. I am adjusting to walking everywhere again, and getting used to everything else that comes with the life style here. I can't wait to see how I am feeling when I am into the groove of things and when I am comfortable with all the other missionaries and ward members. Speaking English to them does make it easier to develop relationship (although some of those Jamaican and African accents can be a little tough to understand).

So a couple of cool things. First off, the recent convert in our area Doreatha, got introduced to the church in what ward? The Lawrenceville ward! Dorian is indeed her daughter and she says that she is going to be going and visiting her in May, so maybe we can work it out so that you guys can make some ribs the day she leaves so that I can get them fresh- haha. Anyways, we visit her a couple times a week, so I am looking forward to bonding over Lawrenceville. Cool to see those connections. Another sweet thing- being here in the same zone that I was in before, there are some people with which I have a great relationship, and that might come in handy. For example, last night we went over to Liliana's house, a member in concourse, with the sisters that cover her. She went through a rough patch in the past little while since I had been there, got offended and completely stopped going to church. She stopped meeting with the missionaries too. I messaged her on Facebook to see if we could come, and she said for sure! So we went and they were there and we had a good time, but a good bold lesson letting them know that the sisters would be helping her and her family get back to church in time. She set up a return appointment with the sister, exchanged Facebook names/contact info and started off what should be a great relationship. I am grateful to be able to be an instrument in that way and I look forward to having other possible opportunities to do the same. The Bronx is great!

I love being here and am looking to go out with a bang! I am excited to give you a good report next week. Thanks for keeping me updated! Have a great week!

-Elder Griffiths

P.S. Went to the temple today- it was sweet! Time flies when you go to the temple. But that's okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment