Monday, March 3, 2014

Buenos Acontecimientos

February 26, 2014

Hello all!

This past week has been great! Lots of good things going on. I'll just hit some of the highlights.

Friday I was on an exchange with Elder Davenport. He is the ASL Elder in our district that is teaching us how to sign. We didn't have any ASL lessons, but we still signed to each other a little bit. Anyways, we were at the church and they were setting up for a stake valentine's day activity. Some people didn't show up to help, so we jumped in to help. Some stuff fell through allowing us to stay a little longer and help. I know that Heavenly Father put us there to help out because we were needed. We were invited to come back to the activity and get some food if we wanted to. Our dinner fell through, so that worked out perfectly- we had some good food there at the activity! And there were a bunch of deaf people there, and so I got approval for a sign name from them (you have tog et approval from them to make sure it is something that isn't ridiculous I guess). So now others can refer to me without finger spelling- good stuff.

Saturday was sweet- we were at the church for like nine hours, setting up for the baptism, cleaning, and doing other little things here and there. While cleaning, I actually ran into a sister from my MTC district, Hermana Eberle! Her boyfriend lives in Poughkeepsie and she was over there, and so she came and helped out. We had a good time chatting and took a picture. That was a good tender mercy. Anyways the baptism was awesome! She got there like forty five minutes late, but it still happened, so that is the important thing.

Tuesday, our dinner fell through so we went to a pizza joint in New Windsor that we go to from time to time. The owners are Salvatore and Lina, from Sicily, Italy. Salvatore wasn't there, but Lina was.  Recently I started up again studying Italian as I exercise and so I talked with Lina in Italian. I was able to understand decently well and talk back- nothing too in-depth, but still it was cool! I feel like I would love a career where I get to interact and talk to people that come from different cultures, especially if it requires me to learn another language. I think I'm going to continue to work on ASL and Italian and them maybe sit in on some classes at BYU to pick them up more. We'll see! But yeah that was a cool experience that helped me to learn more about myself.

We had a good night last night. We planned to go out with George- cool story with him- about a month ago, we had parked in an apartment complex to go do a look-up. We were saying a prayer and we looked up to find a man and a women outside our car. He introduced himself as George and the woman as Lucy. They are from Guatemala. George moved here recently and didn't know where the church was, so we gave him the info and got his information. It was cool to see how God out us in His path and how we found one another. So yeah he was going to go out with us but then the person we were going to juked us, so we went back and taught George and Lucy. It was a good lesson!

So yeah things are great! It was a good week. Tomorrow we have zone conference. Things are looking good! Thanks for the love and support!  Hope you have a great week!

-Elder Griffiths

No comments:

Post a Comment