Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Dios Abre las Puertas

October 9, 2013

Hello all!

This week has been great as it has flown by!  I think I'll just stop talking about how fast time is going because it probably gets pretty annoying.  Anywho, yeah it was a good week.  Wednesday was not too shabby, nor was Thursday.  Friday we had a bunch of stuff planned, set appointments and everything from 11:30 and on, but then things just didn't go as we planned (though they did go how God planned).  Nevertheless Paul came in to the rescue and offered us dinner at his house.  He's a third generation Italian so he makes some really good red sauce (says that Italians call it gravy) and I got the recipe for it!  So that was a treat- he's great and will put anybody in a good mood.  Saturday and Sunday were great- good ol' conference!  We watched all but the last session at the church- we watched the last session at Paul's house.  I loved conference and got a lot out of it, especially as I tried to prepare myself for it with specific questions in mind.  Monday was a pretty good day- there was a tornado watch for the first part of the day, so that slowed us down, but afterwards we had some pretty cool experiences (I'll share one in a second).  Tuesday was good- we had a nice bike ride from the church to Newburgh.  We've done it twice now and it takes about half an hour, but the weather is perfect for such.  And it's just beautiful outside with the trees changing and stuff, so I'm not going to complain about that.  So it was a good week!  Today we're going on a hike, the same one we did on my birthday, so that will be fun.  And then after that, back to work!

Anyways, Monday we had a cool experience.  I wrote to President Morgan about it, so I'll just share what I shared with him...

People have been pretty inconsistent with us lately- scheduling appointments and then not being able to meet with us- but Elder Holbrook and I have faith that such only happens so that we get to where Heavenly Father needs us. We had a cool experience Monday. An appointment fell through, as did the back up, so when listened to and followed the Spirit as He directed us. After a little while we ended up at a less active family's apartment. They live on the second floor and the door to the stairs is normally locked, but we had a strong impression to just confidently open the door and go on up. We did that and the door opened with ease! We knocked on the door of this family's house and they gladly let us in. We found out that their phones hadn't been working and for that reason they hadn't responded to our texts or calls. We had an impromptu family home evening with them wherein we learned that they had been fighting amongst each other and having a hard time. By the end of the night they were cheerful and we could feel love once again present in their home. They were grateful and so were we. I know that Heavenly Father guided us there and through that experience we gained their confidence, helped them out, regained contact with a family with great potential (one of the members of the family told us to stand outside and yell her name when we want to come over and she would come let us in), and we saw God's hand in our lives. I'm grateful for the experience and all the experiences that I've been blessed with in this service as a missionary. I know that it is His work.

Cool stuff just keeps coming.  Sometimes here in the mission field, just as in normal life, life can seem kind of dreary and lackluster in the moment, but when you take a step back and look at things as a whole you can really see how God is guiding us and see His hand at work in our lives.  That's one of my favorite things about being out here- having been able to have my vision of such improved and better seeing God's hand in everything.  I know he loves us all and is giving us our life experience, the end ultimately being our happiness.  So keep chugging on and look for the good- it's there!

Thanks for everything- I hope you all have a great week!

-Elder Griffiths

No comments:

Post a Comment