Friday, October 12, 2012

Buenas Tardes a Todo!

Conference was pretty good, eh?  Being here in the MTC for it was great!  Aside from the fact that we're naturally a little more focused on the Gospel here and that we're able to better pay attention while sitting on hard, uncomfortable chairs instead of couches, hearing the mind of God with about 2700 of the missionaries is great!  We enjoyed listening to Elder Nelson's talk about asking the missionaries- we're just all together getting ready to help out.  Everybody went pretty crazy at the  at the announcement of the lowering of the age that people can serve.  I think it was all that everybody talked about during the songs and breaks during the session and then for the whole day afterwards.  It's still a little crazy to think about and we're all wondering how the outside world is handling it.  Feel free to give me any updates-  I'd love to hear about who all is deciding to serve!

One of the biggest impressions I've felt, multiple times coming away from conference and other stuff is that missionary work really is about to explode.  One of the teachers said that they're expecting there to be about 100,000 missionaries in two years.  He learned that in a teacher's meeting with some official, high up person involved in missionary work, and what's even better is that this same person talking at the meeting said that they will be needed.  Exciting stuff is about to start happening and I'm grateful to be a part of the work!  The missionaries that will be coming in soon will be more qualified and able than ever, and I'm certain they'll be able to step up to what's coming.  You asked about whether I think I would have been ready after just six weeks of language training, and I'd say probably.  By tomorrow, we'll have finished going over all the grammar we have to go over in class, so at this point being one on one with a fluent or native speaker would probably do me good.  A lot of what they teach here in the MTC is more about how to study and teach yourself.  But yeah I think things will work out just how they're supposed to for the people who now have this door open to them.  I probably would have jumped on such an opportunity and left as soon as I could, and I  would have been fine, but I know that God's timing is perfect for me and that those experiences I had in that extra year were just what I needed.  Another fun fact- after everything has settled following the initial wave, it's expected that we'll have a steady 80,000 missionaries- super exciting!

The departure date they gave me is the 6th of November.  And I've had a bunch of companion switch ups, I'm guessing because I called in last moment to be switched to intermediate so I've just kind of been thrown around, not originally having a place.  And of course it's just all a part of God's plan- I've got something to learn from everybody.  And so far so good with Elder Fitzner and Elder Boyd!  We're working well together!  They're both pretty goofy, so it makes for a good time.  I think I told you where they were from and where they're going, but feel free to ask anything else about them!

Thanks for the package!  The watch doesn't work, but I can use somebody else's when I need it.  And I've already made some good tie trades- Elder Fitzner traded me the perfect True Blue Tuesday tie, so I'm excited about that and the other prospects I have.  I might send some home after I've settled things and made all the trades I want because I don't need eighteen ties in the field.  But yeah thanks for send them and everything else!

I'm writing this at a different time because my companions usually just write their letters home during laundry, and my old companions liked doing so after the temple.  My letters home will most likely come home around this time from now on.

Oh and random thing- I saw James Gosling in the temple today.  I said hey to him- that was good!

Not much else to say at this point, I don't think.  Serving a mission really is a challenge at times, and I'm sure I don't know the half of it not being in the field yet.  One thing that's given me the most strength through all of my trials, though, big and small has been prayer.  I've continued to fortify my testimony that when we have righteous desires, we're trying to do what's right, Heavenly Father will help us out and give us answers to everything.  Whether it be Him just encouraging me to endure through a rough time, or Him leading me to finding a book I wanted in a free box in the residence halls, Heavenly Father is always willing to help us out with anything so long as we trust Him and do our part.

I wish I could expound more on that, but I don't have much time.  Things are going very well here- I'm continuing to learn and grow!  Three and half weeks left- good deal, plenty of time to learn a bunch.  I hope all is well at home!  Thanks for your love and support!

Elder Griffiths

No comments:

Post a Comment