Saturday, September 15, 2012

La Vida Buena en el C.C.M.

iHola!

Things are going well thus far.  This week has been a heck of a lot better than last week- we're getting into the swing of things, we aren't so overwhelmed with all of the stuff we had to do at the beginning and so forth.  The relief really came when we had our time for our temple walk on Sunday and the Zone leaders said that we didn't have to wear our suit coats and that we could take naps if we wanted to- that was great!  And since then, we've just been doing the routine stuff- classes, study, eating, sleeping, etc.

The Spanish is coming along pretty well, I believe.  It is kind of hard to track my progress, though, since I came in with some background.  I don't feel like I've improved a ton, but I think I am able to communicate a little better now.  One thing that has really helped me, particularly in our lessons, is to not get caught up on being perfectly proper, but to realize that as long as the spirit is present, there will be understanding between both parties.  I've definitely experienced that and it's sweet!  And while it really does work, it'll definitely be nice to be able to be fluent or at least conversational.  Such is coming, it's just a matter of patience and working hard in the mean time.

My companions are still great!  There have kind of been some tricky switchups- technically my companion right now is Elder Valasquez, a native Spanish speaker from Texas that was supposed to go to Costa Rica but is being delayed because of visa issues.  I haven't really been with him though because there's another Elder, Elder Garza, another native Spanish speaker from Texas, that was supposed to be leaving this week for the Utah Provo mission, but is getting over some health issues, so since they're in the same boat, they've just been sticking around with each other.  I've still spent some time with both of them though, and they're great!  They both should be on their way next week, so if one leaves before the other, I'll be with the other until he leaves.  They're both willing to help out with my Spanish, so that'll be good!

Seeing all the diversity here is sweet!  We're not supposed to hang out at all or go around to other people's rooms, but I've met and befriended some people in the bathroom while brushing my teeth and stuff, like an Elder from the Netherlands going to the West Indies, the first Elder from Nepal, an Elder from Belgium, an Elder from Chile, and Elder from American Samoa and a few others.  I really love how we're all coming together from all over the world to join the cause of inviting others to come to Christ.  I can't wait to meet the diverse group of people in New York!

As far as mail goes, I have only received one letter from Elder Peter Totten (friend from BYU) and then one dearelder letter from you guys (parents) and then one from Brother Branham.  I also did get the overcoat and it looks good and fits well, so thanks!  Anyways, the district leader of the district I would have been in should be putting any letters I've received in the misplaced mailbox, and then they should be forwarded to me, but I haven't received any forwarded letters so I'm kind of doubtful that district leader has taken such action.  So if you're reading this and have sent me anything already to the old mailbox, 291 I believe, feel free to copy and paste what you sent (if you used dearelder.com) to a new letter to my new mailbox, #355.  Otherwise, I apologize if you don't get any response from me- that's just something I can't do without a letter in the first place...  Not that I'm soliciting for mail, just be aware that I may have not received your letter.

I think that about wraps things up!  Things are going just fine and dandy.  Friday is our preparation day, and it's been nice- went to the temple, went through a session and then ate at the cafeteria- good brake from the MTC cafeteria.  About to go do some laundry and relax and stuff.

Hope all is well with you!

-Elder Griffiths

No comments:

Post a Comment