Monday, September 10, 2012

Hay Mucha A Hacer, Pero No Hay Mucho Tiempo Para Hacerlo

Hello All!

Looks like I've survived my first three days here at the MTC (o CCM en espanol).  The days haven't passed too slowly, but looking back at the end of the day, breakfast and everything seems like it was an eternity ago.  Things are going well though- I feel like I''m adjusting well to the sleeping schedule (I''m actually able to sleep at night now- it was hard falling asleep the first night), getting used to having to always be with somebody and just getting used to the MTC life.  I was imagining that they would always have a chaperone of some sorts guiding you and directing you where to go, but there's actually a lot of freedom in the sense that if we really wanted to skip out on something or do something we shouldn't, nothing would stop us.  At least in the moment.  That's just really nice because you know that everybody here is acting out of their own will.

So far my companions and my district are great!  I'm in a threesome (switching to intermediate at the last moment has kind of switched things up like that) with Elder Lundberg and Elder Snyder.  Elder Lundberg is actually a fellow Chem-E major from Layton who got a year in at BYU.  We took a lot of the same classes but at different times and with different teachers, so we didn''t already know each other.  Elder Snyder is from Clevland Ohio and he went to summer term at BYU this year.  He likes to play basketball and adds some color to what would be just a couple of Chemical Engineers.  Haha but yeah we're working together well- we all want to be good, obedient, hardworking missionaries, and so that helps us all be able to learn and grow off of each other.  Oh and they're both going to Peru on their missions, and if their visas come, they'll be leaving after three weeks to go to the Peru MTC.  Anyways, our district is great too!  We're already coming together and getting to know each other well.  We have two Hermanas (sisters) and then seven Elders.  One is going to the Idaho Falls visitor center, three to Peru, three to Los Angeles and one to Tampa.  Yesterday all of us Elders coordinated and work red ties and now today we coordinated with las Hermanas and we're all wearing purple, so that''s fun (I had to borrow a tie from one of the other Elders).  Because we're in intermediate, we all come in with different amounts of Spanish and different means of learning it.  Most everybody had four years in High School, one of the Hermanas minored in it in college, one of the Elders learned it when he worked at McDonalds, and I'm just the Rosetta Stone guy.  It's really nice though, because with all of our pool of Spanish knowledge, we're able to come together and answer each others questions most of the time.

All the various leaders have given us a bunch of assignments and we really haven't had a ton of time to do anything.  It's kind of overwhelming, but my companions and I are trying hard to be exactly obedient and we''re being blessed for that.  And Spanish is rough too.  The teachers really only speak in Spanish, and I'm able to understand the vast majority of what they say, but I'm not great at speaking yet.  That'll come though.  Yesterday we had to teach a lesson in Spanish to an "investagator'' and that was definitely rough.  Luckily Elder Lundberg had a good handle on things so it wasn''t a total disaster.

I''m sure I could say more, but time is running short.  I would like to note that because of the change, my mailbox is now #355, so if you could change that on the blog and maybe post something on facebook about that, that would be great!  I don''t know how the forwarding works- I haven't gotten any dearelder.com letters, but I did get a copy of yours (mom and dad) in an email.  Good to know that you were able to work things out with the car!

Anyways, I'm enjoying my time here!  I just can''t wait to be used to everything and be on a consistent schedule and stuff.  Being a noob is no fun...

Elder Griffiths

No comments:

Post a Comment