Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Adios Papa...

Hello all!

Transfers came, and so I'm currently writing from...  ...Harlem still.  Same ward, same area, but Elder Topham left to go upstate.  He went back to his area up in the Yorktown ward (I've seen pictures and it looks beautiful up there.  I hope I end up going upstate at some point.  That's kind of the opposite attitude a lot of people have...) for his last cycle, and I'm excited for him because it sounded like his upstate area was great and it seems like he'll have some great opportunities to get to tie up some loose ends and finish the work that the Lord wants him to do up there.  I'm glad I got to serve with him and even though things weren't always smooth sailing, I still love him and was sad to see him go.  I think we'll be lifetime friends though, so I'll be looking forward to keeping in touch with him!

So with him gone, I obviously have a new companion.  His name is Elder Loera, he was recently serving in the Bronx, but has been all over.  He came out with Elder Topham, but since he was raised speaking Spanish he only spent three weeks in the MTC and thus has only two cycles left.  He seems really humble and willing to work hard, so I'm pumped to work with him!  He's also a native speaker, so my Spanish will probably improve this cycle.  So that's that!

This past week was pretty good.  We had a "mini mission" with a  guy in our ward with a mission call.  He came over and spend the night and lived the missionary life from Wednesday night to Saturday afternoon, so sharing that experience with him was cool.  During that time, we had some pretty good lessons, including one with the family we are currently teaching.  They're making lots of progress and it's great seeing their lives being blessed as they return to gospel.  We also set a baptismal date with another one of our investigators!  She's a little iffy about baptism, so it was a great miracle that she agreed to a date.  Now we're going to do our part prepare her and let the Spirit do the rest.  Other than that, things have been kind of slow with transfers.  Elder Topham had a lot of stuff he needed to pack up, so that took awhile (and was stressing me out too, so I'm pretty emotionally exhausted right now I guess).  A lot of stuff switched around at transfers, so it was really sad to see people go.  We had Sister Aguirre (mi paisana- she's originally from Mexico but recently lived in Peachtree City) Elder Bowker, and Elder Topham leave from our district and then some other switch ups of some of my mission friends.  It felt like leaving BYU all over again to an extent, but I guess I'll probably get used to transfers after a few more.  So yep, that's about it.  I'm looking forward to good upcoming cycle!  Next cycle we have forty missionaries coming in, so I'm going to be trying to prepare to train, just in case.  I guess we'll see...

We've been eating a lot of food lately.  We had three dinners Monday, two lunches and a big dinner Saturday.  Luckily, Elder Loera is game to go running and work out at the gym, otherwise I'd be slightly concerned about gaining a little weight.  I've been doing good thus far otherwise, but doing solid exercise (as opposed to jumping jacks) should just make sure I'm good to go.

I think that's about it.  Thanks for all the support- I hope everybody is doing well!

-Elder Griffiths

No comments:

Post a Comment