Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Llegue en... (Lea para aprender)

Hola familia,

Yesterday was a very long day.  Got up at 2:40 to catch the bus at 4:00.  After two planes, we arrived safely in White Plains and drove back to the mission home.  During my travels, I attempted to talk to a couple people- ran out of time with one and got rejected by a couple others.  It's pretty hard getting to people, but I think with some practice I'll be able to get to know people, develop a good relationship and share a brief snippet of the Restored Gospel with them in a short period of time.  There are so many people out there that don't have the truth only because they don't know where to find it.  So that's why I'm here!

Being at the mission home was good!  There  were twelve of us, three sisters and nine Elders.  The mission home was still without power, but they have a generator that allowed us some light and other amenities.  The mission home is nice and it's located in a very nice area.  I love it!  There are nice windy streets, trees everywhere, classy old houses, a nice "small town" down town and so on.  But yep, it was good talking with President and Sister Morgan and just having a good relaxing time after a long day of travel.  I had the best night sleep I've had for a while.

Funny side note- on the way to Detroit, I sat by the Elder who would have been my companion in the MTC had I stuck with beginner- Elder Kerr.  Turns out his first name is Jeffrey and he was born on July 31st- crazy, eh?  He also is good friends with Elder Goodman who serve in the Lawrenceville and Grayson Ward.  Also, on the bus to the airport, I sat by Elder Vanner from Kazahkstan.  He's one of about a hundred members in the whole country, and only the eighth missionary.  He's a modern day pioneer and an inspiration.  There were some other great missionaries that came in as well!  We're all excited to be here and get to the work!

This morning, we woke up, waited our turn for the shower, got ready, talked a little as a group and then got on our way to the transfer meeting in Kingsport.  A lot of the missionaries had been told where they were going to be assigned during their interview with President Morgan, but I had no idea, and I was kind of looking forward to it.  After some business and other stuff, they introduced us and told us where we were going to be serving, and so guess where I'm serving?  Central Manhattan Zone!  Harlem 2nd Ward!  (Spanish Ward, of course!)  My trainer is Elder Topham from Sandy I think he said.  He's been out for about a year and a half and I look forward to working with him!

Kind of a random side note- the missionaries in this area teach English, which is great because I really wanted to do that for some reason.  So that'll be great!  different, but great!

My apartment is on the nineteenth floor of a thirty three story high rise just a few blocks north east of Central Park.  Our area covers the east side of Central Park for about the length of Central Park.  I have yet to see Central Park.  Anyways, it's still a little unreal that I'm living in Manhattan, close to the heart of one of the most famous cities in the world.  I don't know how long it'll take to get used to that.  But so far I love it here!  I haven't seen too many of my fellow gringos, but that's fine because us gringos can be kind of dumb.

As far as living the New York experience goes, I feel like I've already had a fair share of it.  After the transfer meeting, we rode the subway to our apartment (we don't have a car- it's all about public transportation for us) from the Kingsport building.  After dropping my stuff off, we walked to this little pizza joint and got some dang good pizza for $1 a slice (big slice, mind you).  Then we took a bus to the church where we're writing our letters.  Also, we walked through some lovely snow and rain and all of that.  I think they call this kind of storm a Noreaster or something like that.  Not the most pleasant thing but I like it because it just adds to the experience.  Also, I haven't gone much time without hearing a siren, so even better, right?  Haha

I'm a little overwhelmed and out of my comfort zone now, but I'm sure with time it'll all get better.  Having today be preparation day is pretty nice though because I'll have some time to settle.  Like I said, I'm just excited to thrust in my sickle and get to work!  And we're probably going to go down and do service in the South mission on Long Island or Staton Island, or possibly in the Jersey Mission on Friday or Saturday.  I rode to the transfer meeting with President Morgan and he talked on the phone with somebody from Salt Lake and it sounded like it was going to be a two month process, so it'll be interesting to see what role we missionaries get to play in that.  Since we're in the city, though, we're definitely going to be involved in any service because with the missionaries upstate, it would take too much gas to make it worth it, especially because there are 1-2 hour lines for gas.  So I'll let you know how that goes!

I would have been fine being upstate, but I'm super happy to be in the city, especially in Harlem.  Spending the big holidays here will be great!  Though it'll be interesting going to bed at 10:30 on New Years Eve when the biggest party in the world is going on a mile or two south.  But yep, all is well!  I can't think of anything else to say right now,  but thanks for all of your support back home!  Best of luck with everything coming up with week- I'll definitely let you know about my doings in a week!

-Elder Griffiths

p.s.  Another fun note- riding the subway back to our apartment, we switched trains where Yankee stadium is located so I got to see that.  And it sounds like when you're in the city, you can go pretty much anywhere in the city and do lots of things.  Like go to a Yankees game, or Times Square, or a bunch of other things, so I'm stoked about that!  ...But I'm more excited about the gospel, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment